The Five Goals
Most countries share Five core Goals for a Fairtrade Town. These goals are the foundation for a strong local and national campaign and help involve lots of different groups and organisations.
The core Five Goals are:
- Local council passes a resolution supporting Fairtrade, and agrees to serve Fairtrade products (for example, in meetings, offices and canteens).
- A range of Fairtrade products are available locally (targets vary from country to country)
- Schools, workplaces, places of worship and community organisations support Fairtrade and use Fairtrade products whenever possible
- Media coverage and events raise awareness and understanding of Fairtrade across the community.
- A Fairtrade steering group representing different sectors is formed to co-ordinate action around the goals and develop them over the years.