The Five Goals
All national Fair Trade Town campaigns share the five founding core goals. These goals are the foundation for a strong local and national campaign and ensure that many different groups and organisations are involved in a campaign. A campaign based on the five goals is necessary for new countries wishing to join the international Fair Trade Towns family, although specific targets may be adapted to suit different situations. National campaigns are free to add to the five goals as they feel is appropriate in their own country, but none of the five founding goals should be removed
The core Five Goals are:
- Local council passes a resolution supporting Fair Trade, and agrees to serve Fair Trade products (for example, in meetings, offices and canteens).
- A range of Fair Trade products are available locally (targets vary from country to country)
- Schools, workplaces, places of worship and community organisations support Fair Trade and use Fair Trade products whenever possible
- Media coverage and events raise awareness and understanding of Fair Trade across the community.
- A Fair Trade steering group representing different sectors is formed to co-ordinate action around the goals and develop them over the years.